Sunday, July 10, 2011

The journey continues. . .

So I was struggling the last few months with my son's diagnosis. He began therapy almost 2 months ago now. I've been going back and forth in my mind- he has it/he doesn't have it/he has it - and driving myself nuts. He's made a lot of progress since his initial evaluations back in February and then in March. But, he's also developed some new "spectrum" things. His therapists are pleased with his progress so far, which is a blessing. We just spent a week at the beach, and he had some good times and some really bad times. He still cries and screams a LOT. . . that wears on me more than anything. But his speech is improving so much and he's initiating a lot more interaction, which I love. When I begin to feel overwhelmed by the task at hand, I look at AJ who is now 7 and is doing AMAZING. . . and it gives me hope. . .
This past week while we were at the beach, Levi was very fearful of the ocean. As I sat on the sand holding him and reassuring him, we watched the waves go "up and down. . . up and down. . .up and down. . ." . And as low tide turned to high tide, and then back again. . .I couldn't help but think of how that applies now. We'll have our up days and down days. . .we'll have high tides and low tides. . .stormy days and peaceful days. . . We'll have times that we run into the waves, laughing and splashing- and times we see and feel the strength of the stormy sea. . . but each new day brings a new chance and new opportunities. . . and if some days the only thing I can manage is holding onto the raft for dear life, then that will be good enough! And each day as God gives me the strength to endure the waves, I'll be thankful for the ride- and that my raft doesn't have any holes.

1 comment:

  1. My heart is with you. I know that the weight you carry feels like more than you can bear... it probably is. Remember every morning before your feet touch the floor to ask God if you can drawl from HIS strength. I will be praying more specifically for you~

    ReplyDelete